Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Black Soap

As we are waiting for our girl, I have been conducting research on Ethiopian skin.  My goal was to find out which cleansers and oils would be the best for her skin during our Ohio winters, but one that the entire family could use as well.  I know, it's a tall order with the white-as-white Caucasian skin, and beautiful coffee with a little cream skin.  Each time I would try to Google "Natural Skin Care", or "Ethiopian Skin Care" something called Black Soap would come up.  Since it came up every single time, I thought maybe this stuff was worth investigating. 

I learned a ton about Black Soap.  It is called this not because of the color, but because when African slaves were brought to our country it was the soap that "the blacks" would use.  The ingredients are all natural (if you buy it from a reputable  business and not a local drug store), nourishing, helps with acne & eczema, and good for all skin types....score!  

After a couple months of investigating, I found this great site that makes unrefined, natural soaps, oils, and butters.  The awesome part is that it is made in a community in Ghana, Africa.  This is the part I love....not only are the products natural, but it is also giving a small community in Africa with jobs!    What an amazing company that I am proud to tell people about!  The company also sells products not made in Africa, but as for now I would like our little Ethiopian cleansing with natural ingredients from her country.  Check it out the web site here:

http://www.coastalscents.com/bath-and-body/made-in-africa.html

I will admit, I was nervous to try the unrefined Shea Butter, Grapeseed oil, & Black Soap on myself.  Our 7 year old actually said, "keep that yucky stuff away from me" (we were used to the creamy, fruity smelling stuff, which is NOT natural).   Well, after a few weeks of it in our home, our entire family loves the products, and the oil is actually the most popular product!  Our skin has never been so healthy and soft!  Something I would highly recommend.  


Next I'll be investigating hair, which shampoo/conditioners to use.  If anyone has a great product that they love, please let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment